Mexican Pasta Salad is an incredibly easy and savory pasta salad stuffed with colorful ingredients such as black beans, tomatoes and corn. With a creamy dressing and spices of onion, coriander and cumin, this delicious pasta salad is sure to be a summer barbecue staple!
I love any pasta salad in our house! Orzo Pasta Salad and Kale Pasta Salad are two other must-have recipes that our family doesn’t have enough of!
Easy Mexican Pasta Salad Recipe
In the summer, you need easy-to-prepare, ready-to-eat, and most importantly, one that will be a hit with everyone in the neighborhood! Pasta salad is the perfect dish to check every box. They are a frequently requested aspect that is easy to get ahead and travels well. One of the best things about this recipe is that you usually have all the ingredients on hand. Well, with the exception of tomatoes, but soon I will have lots of fresh tomatoes in my garden!
The dressing is a creamy salsa dressing that makes this salad very savory. Use your favorite bottled salsa sauce. I used salad macaroni (aka salad roni or ditalini). Because that’s what my mom always uses. However, you can use other types of pasta if you prefer. This Mexican pasta salad is the perfect side dish recipe, and you’ll be delighted to find it during your summer barbecue time!
What’s in Mexican Pasta Salad?
So I think feta cheese is the best of all time. I glued that stuff to everything. I love Mexican food, I love it, I love it. So when I found out that this Mexican pasta salad had feta cheese, it sold! The creamy crumble adds flavor and I (as always) loved it in this pasta salad! You can stir a little on the salad and use it as a garnish on top, or you can omit it entirely if you’re not a big fan like me.
- macaroni: Use small salad rotini noodles or ditalini, which are easy to scoop out in one bite, along with other ingredients.
- Black Beans: Rinse before adding to the mixture.
- corn: Drain and then add to the mixture for sweetness and texture.
- Roma Tomato: Dice to mix into salads to scoop out the sweet flavor with every bite. You can also use cherry tomatoes!
- green onion: Finely chopped gives the dish a great color and bright earthy taste.
- Red onion: Finely chop the large onion pieces so as not to bite them. The sharp taste goes well with other mild ingredients.
- master: My cilantro is growing like crazy in my garden right now. Cut some to add to the mix and the flavor is great!
- Feta Cheese: This is optional if you want a creamy flavor.
sauce for salad
- sAlsa: Use fresh salsa in your favorite flavor.
- sOur cream: add texture and flavor
- mayonnaise: It adds creaminess to the dressing.
- GAlic:chopped or pressed
- SeedWoomin: Fine earth spices add flavor to this dressing.
- salt and pepper: to taste
- LAimee Juice: To taste – this will add freshness to the salad. Don’t skip it!
How to make Mexican Pasta Salad:
The steps to make this Mexican Pasta Salad are super easy to follow and there’s no way to mess this recipe up! Just follow the same steps and replace your favorite ingredients and your homemade pasta salad is ready! After completing this process, you will be able to make your own pasta salad.
- Pasta dishes: Follow the package instructions. Rinse and rinse with cold water. Rinse with cold water to prevent sticking. Set aside, cool completely and dry completely.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: When dry, add beans, corn, tomato, green onion, onion and coriander.
- Mix dressing and combine with pasta. Combine all dressing ingredients in a large bowl and pour over pasta mix. Stir together until everything is evenly coated in the sauce.
- Optional variants: You can mix the feta cheese into salads or use it as a garnish on top. Taste the ingredients and adjust as needed.
- Offer: Refrigerate until ready to use. This is best served on the day it is made. Served for 8-12 people.
Easy material exchange:
As written, this recipe is delicious, but sometimes not all ingredients work for everyone. Or maybe you lack one thing and don’t want to rush to the store. Okay. Here are some easy ways to adapt this recipe if you need it.
- pasta: Use your favorite pasta noodles. This recipe requires Rotini or Ditalini. Other popular varieties include elbow macaroni, penne, and clamshell.
- Food Sensitivity: Gluten-free noodles also work great in this recipe.
- Heat: Use hot salsa, medium salsa, or mild salsa to adjust the spiciness of your Mexican pasta salad.
- Cheese: This pasta salad has an amazing variety of cheeses. Try Monterey jack or whatever you like.
Best Macaroni Salad Tips
The success or failure of this Mexican pasta salad largely depends on the pasta! It is important not to overcook or undercook the pasta. You want the noodles to absorb some of the dressing, but not too sticky. Cook until al dente (hard in bites) to absorb the perfect amount of dressing. Remove pasta and rinse in cold water to stop cooking immediately. Make sure the pasta is completely cool before adding the dressing.
Storing Mexican Pasta Salad:
Make this recipe in advance and use it as a more convenient side dish. Do not leave it on for more than 2 hours before storage. Bacteria like to grow between 40 and 140 degrees, so it’s a good idea to store this pasta in the refrigerator or freezer. Pack tightly in an airtight container or resealable bag.
- refrigerator: Cooked pasta salads keep well in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- Freezer: Pasta salads can be stored in the freezer for 1-2 months if stored properly. After thawing in the refrigerator, consume within 3 days. After defrosting in the microwave, eat immediately and throw away.
Cook the salad macaroni according to the packaging instructions. Rinse and rinse with cold water. Rinse with cold water to prevent sticking. Set aside, cool completely and dry completely. When dry, add beans, corn, tomato, green onion, onion and coriander. Combine all dressing ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the pasta mix.
Stir together until everything is evenly coated in the sauce. You can mix the feta cheese into salads or use it as a garnish on top. Taste the ingredients and adjust as needed. Refrigerate until ready to use. This is best served on the day it is made. Served for 8-12 people.
Updated on June 3, 2022
calorie231kcal (12%)carbohydrate30g (10%)protein7g (14%)Fat10g (15%)saturated fat4g (20%)cholesterol18mg (6%)salt259mg (11%)potassium332mg (9%)fiber4g (16%)sugar4g (4%)vitamin A515IU (10%)vitamin C6mg (7%)calcium75mg (8%)steelOnemg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and is only estimates. Each recipe and nutritional values vary depending on the brand used, the measurement method, and the serving size per household.
Updated, written and published by Meja Makan